Monday, August 30, 2010

1.4 Don't Stop. Stopping Means Bad Mojo Jojo.

That night, I left work early so I could plan. Throughout the day my Inbox bleeped cheerfully in an unending wave of interested literary agents and desperately seeking hopefuls trying to butt their way through the process and ultimately have our firm publish their works. Either way, I wasn't interested. I was thinking of the fuck-me pumps back at my loft style apartment, and the dinner reservations which would ultimately satisfy my need for Aidan to profess his undying love. In retrospect, I realize how insane this was, considering what fortune lie ahead for me.

The checklist that night included the following: check one, the little black dress I found hanging in a consignment store window the week before. Check two, the aforementioned fuck-me pumps which Tom approved of, after comedically retching off my Juliet balcony before God and several terrified street walkers alike. Check three, my personal favorite, L'ode à L'éternité, a French perfume which almost cost an entire paycheck but was worth it when it came to Aidan. And check four, most important, a haircut in the city, which was priceless when you consider the importance of the perfect bob when you're trying to cover up the fact that you've gained four pounds in the last week.

It was just my luck that there was a new doorman to Aidan's apartment building, and he gave me a quick looking over before accepting my story of a girlfriend, desperate for affection, who wanted to just take her man for a night on the town.

Most of this "looking over" involved staring into my cleavage.

The doorman wasn't even the problem, at least for the most part. Sure, like every woman I wanted to be seen for what I was--a good girl, a good career, despite several neuroses. No, it was the gilt framed mirror that caused a pause in the clipping of my fuck-me pumps across the marble floors. I angled my profile and stuck out my chest. I did the most that I could for a size four. And all I saw was the perfection of my boyfriend's body. The body, oh the body. My body was electric. I broke my gaze, summoned the elevator, and hit the button for the penthouse suite.

No comments:

Post a Comment